2 c. wood chips, soaked for 20 minutes
4.5 lb. roasting chicken (organic, free range does taste better!)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. chili powder
- Remove chicken from package, rinse thoroughly and pat dry with paper towel.
- Loosen skin around breast, legs and back using your fingers.
- Poke four holes in the bottom (i.e. back) of the chicken in the fat deposit. Poke holes in the fat deposits on the breast.
- Mix salt and chili powder together. Rub between breast and skin. Sprinkle an additional amount on the chicken.
- Tie wings of chicken down with twine.
- Place chicken in fridge for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Drain soaked chips and place in foil package. Poke four holes in the package.
- Preheat BBQ/grill with both main burners on high and foil package on top of burners for 15 minutes.
- Thread chicken onto middle of rotisserie skewer. Clamp in place, making sure to hold legs in place.
- Light rotisserie burner and leave on high.
- Place chicken on rotisserie, turn on, moving the foil package if necessary. Ensure chicken turns freely.
- Roast for 2 hours until the thigh registers 180F and the breast 170F.
- Remove from grill, allow to rest 10 minutes and carve.