My favorite Christmas cookie! Follow the directions carefully. Don't underbeat, use superfine sugar, and make sure to sift icing sugar!
Makes 4 dozen cookies
8 egg whites
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. (8 oz.) superfine sugar
2 c. (8 oz.) icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans, toasted
2 c. milk chocolate chips
Note: If you don't have superfine sugar, you can make it by putting sugar into a food processor and processing for 2 minutes.
- Line four baking sheets with parchment.
- Preheat over to 170F.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, add egg whites and beat on medium speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar, mix on medium high and gradually add 2 Tbsp of superfine sugar.
- Beat until soft peaks form, add 1 Tbsp. superfine sugar and increase speed to high.
- Beat until stiff peaks form, slowly add remaining superfine sugar. Beat on high until very stiff and glossy. Add vanilla and beat until well combined. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat.
- Remove mixer bowl, sift icing sugar over the meringue. With a rubber scraper, fold the in icing sugar. Add chocolate chips and pecans, fold gently to incorporate.
- Drop cookies onto cookie sheets.
- Bake in a 170F degree oven, with the door cracked for 3 hours.
- Allow to cool and dry completely. Store in an airtight container.