These cookies work equally well with dark chocolate, milk chocolate, butterscotch and peanut butter chips. Alternatively mint candy pieces or skor pieces are great. Make sure not to over bake these cookies to maintain moist, chewy centers. The espresso can be substituted with espresso powder. Up the butter to 13 Tbsp if you go this route. Alternatively, strong coffee works.
Makes 3 Dozen Cookies
12 Tbsp. butter, unsalted
13 oz. (1.75 c.) sugar, white (evaporated cane sugar works best)
0.75 oz. (1/4 c.) cocoa powder, dutch-process (if you can get Callebaut cocoa, it's worth it!)
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp espresso
10 oz. (2-1/4 c.) white whole wheat flour (can substitute unbleached all-purpose flour)
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
6 oz. white chocolate chips/chunks
1/2 c. chopped pecans
- Place pecans in a baking dish and toast in preheating oven until browned - about 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and simmer until it browns - at least 5 minutes. The butter will start off foamy, and then will clear when the foam browns and sinks to the bottom, it will then get foamy again - take it off the heat. The butter should *almost* burn. This browning is what gives the cookies their caramel flavour.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Add sugars and cocoa. Mix thoroughly. Add eggs, vanilla, espresso. Mix.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour, 4-5 is preferable.
- Adjust oven rack to above-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Add a baking stone to the rack, if you have one.
- Fold in flour, chopped pecans and white chocolate. Do not over mix.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Leaving about 1 1/2-inches between each ball, scoop dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheets with 1.5 Tbsp ice cream scoop.
- Bake cookies until edges have just begun to set but centers are still very soft, about 9 minutes, turning cookie sheet from front to back. Best to bake 1 pan at a time. Don't over bake.
- Cool cookies on sheets about 10 minutes, transfer to wire rack to cool.