Makes 1 9 x 13 inch baking pan
2 oz butter, melted
4 oz (1/2 c) boiling water and espresso mixed*
*can use all water and 1-1/2 tsp of espresso powder
1.5 oz (1/3 c) cocoa, Dutch process
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate*
*avoid chips, unless they are nothing but solids, cocoa butter, and lecithin
2 tsp vanilla
.25 oz (1/2 tsp) salt
17 oz (2-1/4 c) white sugar
8.75 oz (1-3/4 c) white flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Add pecans to a small baking pan and toast for 10 minutes.
- Line 9 x 13 inch pan with foil lengthwise and width-wise. Spray with spray oil. Alternatively, you can use parchment.
- Mix butter, cocoa, chocolate, salt and water-espresso mixture. Stir until melted and smooth. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla, stir. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add flour and stir very briefly.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, sprinkle on pecans, and bake until toothpick inserted comes out with just a few moist crumbs
attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool 1 hour.
- Using foil overhang, lift brownies from
pan. Return brownies to wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
Cut and serve.